Below are my Supplemental Resources for Paths of Exploration (POE) by Trail Guide to Learning for the Columbus Unit, Lesson 1. Our goal is to add more hands-on activities to this wonderful curriculum! (Note this is a long article, so I have chosen to use the “read more” tab below in order to shorten the articles on the home page… so if you are interested, please be sure to click the “read more” button right below the share buttons for the various social media sites OR the Title of this post).
Lesson 1 Part 1:
Compass Rose – A great (and free) compass work by Montessori Print Shop.
Have your children / students label your classroom with Cardinal Direction Labels by FirstGradeWow.blogspot.com
or use this set by Fiar Circle
Make a compass by KidsActivitiesBlog.com
Lesson 1 Part 2:
Print France, Africa and Greece maps and determine their relationship to the Mediterranean Sea http://www.yourchildlearns.com/megamaps/
Lesson 1 Part 3:
- Lesson 1, Part 3 and Part 4: Syllable Work (Free Montessori Syllable Counting Work);
- Lesson 1, Part 3: Globes vs. Maps; Create your ownglobe using an orange
Lesson 1 Part 4:
- Lesson 1, Part 4: Geometric Figures. Congruent, similar and Equivalent study. Free 3 part card definitions; GREAT Montessori study on Congruent, similar and equivalents by Cultivating Dharma; Free Worksheets; But it is far more fun for your students to make this Geometric Stick Material and let them explore this concept more fully!
- Lesson 1, Part 4: Map Activity; Graph Paper;
Lesson 1 Part 5:
- Lesson 1, Part 5: Nature Journaling: Teach your children how to create a nature journal (it’s not hard)
- Lesson 1, Part 5: Continent Outline Maps; Map Marco Polo’s Route on a Felt World Map that you make with your child;
- Lesson 1, Part 5: Various Spanish Dishes to cook
My Supplemental Vocabulary: Cartographer, Orienteering, forecastle, poop deck, sloop, schooner, square-rigger, privateer, bazaar, terrestrial, celestial, spherical, mathematician, astronomer, indentured, venn, navigator, passage, explorer, worldview, admiral, climate, geography, population, comparison, continent, hoisted,